Thursday, March 6, 2008

Score!!!

Well, the fates have decreed that my darling daughter should go see Hannah Montana on Sunday at the Houston Rodeo. Yup, I scored tickets at their original price and not the outrageous sum demanded by greedy scalpers. Hubby is happy he didn't have to shell out big bucks, DS is happy I could only get 2, and you can understand DD's excitement. As for me, I am going to splurge on a pair of earplugs between now and Sunday.

As for the scalpers- I know we live in a free market society and such, but I think if the performers realized how much profit they were being cheated out of, there would be more outrage, and stricter laws. Say the seats to the concert go for $100 and in the contract, the performer gets 10% of each seats' sale- $10. For every 100 seats, they get $1,000. So, the scalper goes in and buys 100 tickets. Because the performer is very popular, the scalper can sell the tickets for $1,000 apiece. His profit for every seat is $900. $900 x 100 seats= $90,000. The performer still only gets $1,000- $89,000 less than what the scalper gets. The scalper points and clicks. The performer has to get up there in front of the crowds and do all the work. It's easy to say "So what, they're rich." But is it truly fair to the performer who has worked so hard to get the point where everyone wants to see them perform?? Discuss....

No comments: