Saturday, November 1, 2008

A Little Ranting 2

So, last night was Halloween and I took DD around to the neighbors' houses and my friend took her to another block. After the annual sorting of the goodies where I claim all the KitKats and we dump all the yucky ones in our handout bowl, I notice a business card on the floor. Imagine my surprise when I picked the darn thing up and it turned out to be from a local church asking us to come worship with them!! Where so I begin with the ire???

First and foremost- this is supposed to be a fun holiday for kids, not one where you proselytize to my child. Yes, I do understand that it has pagan roots, but we are not out in the backyard lighting bonfires and having sex. Let my children collect their candy peacefully. If you have a problem with the holiday, then leave your lights OFF and pray for godless souls while we traverse the neighborhood collecting candy!!

Second- As for joining you for worship- no thanks. Any church or fellowship who markets themselves so shamelessly is not worth my time or effort. This also applies to all those mega-churches that advertise on TV, send out fliers in the mail and have the school send handouts home with my kiddo advertising "fall festivals." If this is how you are using your money and tithes, then you need to have your tax-exempt status revoked and your books audited. Shouldn't that money be going to keep the church running, and helping the less fortunate???

Third- You don't know my religious beliefs and they are none of your business. You don't know if I am happy with those beliefs, either. For the record- I and my family are Jewish, and we are extremely happy with our beliefs. I could not be part of any religion that so shamelessly promotes itself in the manner in which you have.

Fourth- as for all those churches running "Houses of Horror"- leave it to the professionals like "ScreamWorld." Yours are thinly veiled proselytizing tactics. That whole abortion scene you show at the end with blood every where and the maniacal "doctor" is so untrue, now. Rest assured, though, that your vision will come true if abortion is made illegal.

Basically- I am an adult and know what is best for my child. Let them enjoy this particular holiday as a candy-filled frolic in costume. Save your proselytizing for Christmas. I would say Thanksgiving, but the Pilgrims "borrowed" our harvest holiday of Sukkot for their first Thanksgiving.

No comments: