Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Penguin Quilts, too

It's been awhile- over 30 days. My countdown clock is at 25 glorius days. School resumes and hopefully my sanity returns.

Anyway, As the title of this post suggests, I've been quilting. A friend of mine wanted to make a U of TX quilt for her son's best friend who graduated from there. Well, she is officially stitching the binding on as I type!! We "birthed" that quilt in about a week's time- taking time for lunch, the weekend and the occassional movie. And does this quilt have a little story:

We live in the Houston area. We could not find one yard of UT fabric anywhere- Plenty of A&M, but no UT. I had to go to Waco to take care of my mom while she was recovering from knee surgery. I found UT fabric there!! 3 different prints, to be exact, and this where it gets good. I called my friend and she said get 4 yards. I got 5 instead. We carefully cut and pieced the top and then layed the finished quilt top on the leftover UT fabric. We had just enough for the backing. Needless to say, that called for a quick celebration- ice cream!! SHe's thrilled. I think the recipient is going to love it, and her son can now stop grumbling about all the UT fabric in her house.

We are now onto different quilts for her grandkids. These will be so much easier because we don't have to do a lot of piecing like the UT quilt. But they will be fun, and the kids will love them.

As for knitting- I finished a pair of socks, and have been working on the MS3 and the Pacific Waves Shawl from elann.com. I've also got another pair of socks loaded up on the needles. Those stay in my purse for those long waits in various places around Houston.

No comments: