Sunday, February 8, 2009

It's Genetic!!

About a week ago, my 7 year-old daughter came and asked me to teach her to knit. She had a skein of bulky weight yarn in her favorite colors- pink and purple. I dug out a pair of US 13 needles and commenced to teach her how to knit. She caught on like a champ and is now got about 10" done on a scarf. She loves it. there have been a few errors along the way, but she is doing great. I am so proud.

She did take it to show her 1st grade teacher and a couple of kids tried their hand at "knitting." Their version was to slip the stitches from one needle to the next without making a new loop through the loop on the previous row. DD waited patiently while I undid the errors and I made her promise not to take it to school again- or at least let anyone else try to knit her scarf.

During all this, we found out that my niece's babysitter is trying to teach her to crochet. the niece is on my husband's side, so no genes from me! After a lesson or two, the babysitter was off for a few days and Grandma was watching her and her sister. Niece asked grandma to help her with the crochet. Now, my MIL is creative in other ways, but not knitting or crochet. She told niece to wait until she saw Aunt Terri again to help her learn some more crochet!! Hopefully we'll be able to get together over the summer so I can help her and maybe teach her to knit, too.

And, I am working diligently on my handmade pledge for this year. I have completed 2 washcloths, some scarves and various other things. Now, if I would just stay off Etsy, I wouldn't have so many pattens and great ideas!! I made the mistake of looking at their sewing patterns and now I've got a stack of those and a hundred new ideas!!

No comments: